A good man is hard to find. And so are novels – gay ones, that is. Over the last three years I’ve read quite a few novels by/about gay men. They helped me to come out the closet and have continued to provide excellent reading material ever since.
The lists below contain some of the novels that have been most important to me. I hope that any other guys who are considering coming out or who have already come out read some of these and find them useful.
Comment below to share your thoughts about these books or any other worthy gay books you may have read. But first, this book lover.
- Call me By Your Name by André Aciman
- Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin
- The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst
- The City and the Pillar by Gore Vidal
- At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O’Neill
More Good Reads
- The Absolutist by John Boyne
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
These are Just Fun
- I Am Not Myself These Days: A Memoir by Josh Kilmer-Purcell
- Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad by Dan Bucatinsky
- Let’s Discuss Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris
Next on My List
- The Two Hotel Francforts by David Leavitt
- In Bed with Gore Vidal by Tim Teeman
- Christopher and His Kind by Christopher Isherwood
- Dreadful: The Short Life and Gay Times of John Horne Burns by David Margolick
…and the list goes on and on.